In today’s energetic business and nurturing environment for corporate transactions, you need a Law Firm with knowledge, flexibility, resourcefulness and determination to help you achieve your goals. Our Firm covers a wide range of corporate transactions and work together with you to create ground-breaking solutions, helping you preserve value while managing risks. From tactical planning through due diligence, we are by your side, helping you effectively and efficiently meet your milestones. Our practical approach, coupled with sound, productive and responsive advice, allows you to navigate barriers at critical moments. With transactional expertise, deep knowledge of the industries in which you operate in and comprehensive experience in advising global, national and emerging companies, we maximize our global presence and local expertise to be in the lead. SCLO is regarded as having a deep understanding of the region's business and legal environment. Our international and regional clients gain the benefit of our presence in Sudan, which corresponds to a wealth of knowledge and contacts in relation to the structuring and conduct of business.
We consider ourselves at SCLO as leaders in the mergers & acquisitions (M&A) field in Sudan. We advise all players on acquisition transactions whether it is an asset acquisition or a share purchase agreement (SPA). SCLO have successfully completed an asset acquisition to an international pharmaceutical company acquiring one of the largest pharmaceutical factories in Sudan. Our work has comprised of the following:
- Setting up a Sudanese company with 100% foreign ownership.
- Conducting a comprehensive legal due diligence.
- Drafting and negotiating the SPA.
- Obtaining the consent of the investment authority for the acquisition deal.
- Advising on financing the acquisition transaction taking into account the special circumstances of doing business in Sudan under the American and international financial sanctions, and Sudanese foreign currency control.
- Transferring the title of the land to the purchaser.
- Complying with the regulatory requirements of the Sudanese National Council for Drugs and Poisons.
- Transferring the ownership of more than one hundred trademarks to the purchaser.
- We successfully won a precedent in court to allow the new foreign owner the right to distribute its products in Sudan.
- We advised the new owner in upgrading the pharmaceutical factory and the store warehouse to the latest state of the art technology and that includes the construction contract under FIDIC.
- During the upgrade phase, we advised the owner on a toll manufacturing agreement with another factory.
- We advised the owner on an operational loan including a corporate guarantee from a sister company.
We are frequently asked to render legal opinion on aspects of joint ventures, particularly from foreign investors in Sudan ranging from the shareholder agreement to incorporating a private limited liability companies, funding options, management etc.
Restructuring & Insolvency:
provides a full range of legal services which may be required to affect a successful restructuring or turnaround. This often involves advising on duties and liabilities of directors and officers, and continues through standstill and support arrangements, creditor mediation, debt rescheduling, security workouts and priorities, disposals and consolidation, and conversion of debt to equity or quasi-equity by use of available instruments and structures. We also advise on protective composition from creditors and bankruptcy and insolvency legal issues.
Sudan is classified as the worst ranking country (189 of 189 countries in the report) in resolving business according to “Doing Business Report 2015: 218”. High quality liquidation and winding up advice that we provide is essential for any business.